What happens with the new router in J 3.8?

Allows you to control menu item alias and have short SEF URLs without including aliases of parent menu items.
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
formfranska
Name: Anna Robinson
Browser: Firefox

What happens with the new router in J 3.8?

Post by formfranska »

Hello, I have Direct Alias Pro installed on my site which is not yet updated to Joomla 3.8. I wanted to ask you what happens when I update to J 3.8... Will the new router (SEO-Friendly URLs in Joomla 3.8 ) replace the functionality of Direct Alias Pro?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Re: What happens with the new router in J 3.8?

Post by Admin »

Yes, Joomla 3.8 has build-in ability to produce articles and categories URLs without IDs.

See more details about new Joomla 3.8 routing here: https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:New_Routing_System
formfranska

Post by formfranska »

OK thank you. So does this mean I should first enable the Joomla 3.8 routing after upgrade and then uninstall Direct Alias Pro? Or is there any other particular order, please?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

If you only remove articles IDs via Direct Alias Pro, yes - you can upgrade to Joomla 3.8 and uninstall our plugin.

But I can recommend to wait till Joomla 3.8.1.
formfranska

Post by formfranska »

Oh, thank you ever so much for your recommendation to postpone upgrade til Joomla 3.8.1. I've been reading posts all day about it and now you confirmed that it's best to wait.

About Direct Alias Pro: I opened the plugin now to check actually. And as I understand it, maybe I should still keep it because it redirects old URLs!
I've read complaints about the new router in Joomla because people are saying it does not redirect old URLs.

My enabled settings in Direct Alias Pro are:
Redirect Old URLs: YES
Remove Content Article ID: YES
Remove In Categories: ALL Categories

So really, I suppose this means I should keep Direct Alias Pro and not enable the new routing in Joomla 3.8.x, at least until they've managed to fix the old URL redirecting. Do you agree that this is a wise decision?

I will make sure to mention Direct Alias Pro when I see those posts about old URLs not being redirected automatically with the new Joomla routing system :-)