Direct Alias Pro - canonical links

Allows you to control menu item alias and have short SEF URLs without including aliases of parent menu items.
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
PolB
Name: Pavel Čornej

Direct Alias Pro - canonical links

Post by PolB »

Hello,
would be possible to add override to canonical links creation?

At this moment native joomla sef create canonical links according the way you entered the site, this means 2-4 canonical links on the same article. That's of course wrong.

It would be enough to add another table with article id and canonical url derived from the menu and possibiliy to edit the canonical link, is there as chance?

If there is I will prolong my subscription and create you a request ticket. Gladly. Because this would be a great thing!
PolB

Re: Direct Alias Pro - canonical links

Post by PolB »

That is if you have second domain, if not canonical links are not presented at all - but they should be or they should use 301 redirect.

The solution would be probably same like in previous case. I will try to test it on some new joomla installation.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

If a site displays multiple links per article, it means incorrect configuration and links usage. Joomla itself can't display different links per same article, the link is always same.

Direct Alias is not for canonical links, it's for shortening Joomla URLs. Unfortunately, I don't think that we need any canonical options for articles in this extension.
PolB

Post by PolB »

It comes from that shortening. The canonical wouldn't be needed if 301 redirect would be used but it's not.

The site is configured to use short urls via Direct Alias Pro, so the content is linked by domain.xy/id_nr.

This is the way how the content is linked from articles and how are linked the articles itself by Joomla. Category or menu are omitted.

Of course, when the same content is linked via menu the url is different, keeping the menu structure and category.

Which means that there are several links leading to the same article.

The best way would be keeping both structures, but automatically overriding the short ones by a full from the menu.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

Sorry, I don't understand, Joomla always generates same URL for an article if non-sef URL correct.