Features requests - what do you want to see in new version?

Ultimate bridge for connecting Joomla! and phpBB 3.
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
Dode
Name: Dorian

Re: Features requests - what do you want to see in new versi

Post by Dode »

You asked, so here are some things i would love to see in p8pbb :

- a Login module that mimic the Joomla one, but pulls info directly from phpBB3, and with create account / recover password linking to the phpBB3 internals

- an Online module that shows phpBB3 connected users and guests, linking to phpBB3 profiles (or J! or CB), and showing PM (unreads/total) and a way to directly PM a user

- an enhanced Latest Activity module showing if topic is read / unread (white / orange icon), multi-langual (the actual one is only en-GB), customisable (via CSS), etc. etc.
floppy
Name: floppy

Post by floppy »

Dode wrote:You asked, so here are some things i would love to see in p8pbb :

- a Login module that mimic the Joomla one, but pulls info directly from phpBB3, and with create account / recover password linking to the phpBB3 internals

- an Online module that shows phpBB3 connected users and guests, linking to phpBB3 profiles (or J! or CB), and showing PM (unreads/total) and a way to directly PM a user

- an enhanced Latest Activity module showing if topic is read / unread (white / orange icon), multi-langual (the actual one is only en-GB), customisable (via CSS), etc. etc.
Good :mrgreen:
Dode

Post by Dode »

Let me show you some concrete examples from PNphpBB2 / MultiBlock (a bridged phpBB2 for Postnuke/Zikula) which has a quite nice modules for this :

Members list (online users)
You can see a small icon to directly PM a user, and a reminder of unread/reads PMs for the connected user.

Latest activity
Here you can see different icon color depending on if you read or not the latest message, some headings, and a better formatting. There are a lot of other options that i can provide (backend module per se), if you wish.

Forum is my number one Joomla functionality, so enhancements in this regard would be great !

HTH.
Dode

Post by Dode »

Me again, for another features request concerning the "Latest Activity" module (this is IMHO the only weak point of p8pbb bridge).

It would be really helpfull that the module follows phpbb3's permissions, so that we don't have to create separated modules for specific groups of users / access levels (basically Public / Registered / Super Admin).

At the moment i'm forced to create several "Latest Activity" modules on the homepage depending on the access levels (5 here), and configure the "only display" or "skip" forums setting for each one. It's a bit annoying and cludgy esthetically speaking, especially when creating / removing sub-forums (potentially risky even if only subject's titles could be displayed).
The MultiBlock i talked about above (code freely available) displays only the subjects a user can access, mixing everything in the same module, so you don't have to setup anything, members see only what they actually can read / reply to.

Also, a way to reflect the read/unread status (the "letter" icon in phpbb3 is there for this purpose, white or orange) in the module would be also very appreciated, so users can see immediately what they already read or not. BTW, you should place this tiny icon at the very beginning of the line, so that it visually distincts lines (i know it's template related, but still, a way to rearrange the display would be great).

I unerstand the "Latest Activity" module is not that important for the majority of your users, but it is for me and my community, and most of my users lack a lot of functions that the old MultiBlock from Postnuke PNphpBB2 gave to them.

PS : should i ask for this in the support center ?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

Using phpBB user's permissions and read/unread status is a very exhaustive operation and this will seriously slow-down website.
Sorry, but we can't develop this feature
Dode

Post by Dode »

Even if it's optional in the module configuration, with a note concerning this potential perf impact ?

I'm a bit surprised, as i was running such functionalities with another module on another CMS, and there were no impact on the performance (i must say there were only about 200 users online), even on a fairly old dedicated server. Is this so much sql queries ?
Also phpBB3 have such functionality with the "latest active topics" script.
But i understand this is no priority for you, no problem.

A last question though, do you allow modification of the modules you provide by third party developers ? I have a php coder friend which is ok to have a look at this, so is it ok for you, or you do not allow code modifications ?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

Yes, you can modify modules, no problem here.
Joozen
Name: Viktor

Post by Joozen »

Like I noticed in my support ticket "Thanks for Post" mod support.
erich199
Name: Joshua

Post by erich199 »

floppy wrote:Hi

I want to see a discuss bot between the joomla articles and phpBB3 :D

bye
I too would like to see this feature. It would make the bridge perfect. It is great now but that would just be the icing on the cake ( so to speak )

I also noticed on the "Recent Activity" module, it shows topics in my "restricted forums". It would be nice if it showed topics based upon user permissions so "Registered Users" could not see topics in "Admin" sections on the Latest Activity Module.

Thanks for your hard work!
sarrene
Rookie
Rookie
Name: sarrene
Browser: Firefox

Post by sarrene »

I am not sure how difficult it would be to add in a uac controls in joomla for phpbb3 posts. That would be up to Blogo.

However what you can do, and what we did is create two modules. If you have two distinct groups you can always separate what shows up in what module by listing the forum category numbers for each.

So Public Module
forums: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Private module:
Forums 8,9,10,11,12

That is how we worked around this limitation. And it does work. If you have a lot of different groups, that could get a bit cluttered.

Though it would be great with Joomlas new UAC and custom levels now to figure out how we could show all forums based on group permissions only.
Peace is not what you seek in the world, but what you find within yourself.

http://darkrelic.com
Joomla 3.3 + phpbb3 + p8pbb Bridge: Since 1.0.1 + MightySites:Since 1.0.0