Simple "does it do this" question

Multisites manager and data sharing solution for Joomla!
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
slavelle
Name: Scott Lavelle
Browser: IE9

Simple "does it do this" question

Post by slavelle »

I have read through a number of the posts here and I've not found exactly the simple scenario I am looking to create.

I have a client who wants to offer his clients a website that is built with their chosen site template (of 5 available, for example - just color/background variations). The content would be completely provided for each of these clients so they had a "turnkey" website, preloaded with content and when changes were made to the "root" install, it would automatically flow out to each of the customer sites. I don't believe that the "sub clients" would need to change or edit anything on the site - all content, menus, modules, etc would be provided by the root site.

I came across your extension and it sounds like it would handle this (and more than I would need). Will it do this?

And - can I please get a copy of the manual sent to me?

Thanks.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Re: Simple "does it do this" question

Post by Admin »

Yes, I guess MightySites can help here.

You will have a main site with usual hosting account, all clients sites will be parked domains with own databases. So one Joomla installation for all sites will be used.

You want "it would automatically flow out to each of the customer sites", in this case all clients sites should load certain database contents from main site, so updating updating main site will affect all clients sites.

Basically this can be not main site but kind of "root" special site (you won't even need to register a special domain for it, just use root.mainsite.com subdomain name).
slavelle

Post by slavelle »

Ok, so a little clarification. The individual sites would like to use the content from the main site - such as articles about chiropractics, etc, but since each individual site would be representing a unique client office, they would need to have the ability to have their own logo, practice name, "about" page and a few other customizable options.

How flexible is this system to allow for this combination of shared content but also unique content for each "child site"?

Thanks for your information.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are 2 variants:
1. Content can be shared (all sites have same articles) .
2. Not shared (each site has own unique articles as usual).
slavelle

Post by slavelle »

So - here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1. A new client signs up. They want a site built for them with content provided by a "parent company". They would get a site built for them that contains a set group of content, so they don't have to come up with their own "articles" and chiropractic news, etc.

2. That same client needs to have a website that has THEIR location, THEIR Doctors list, THEIR logo, their template choice/colors.

3. The parent company has 200 such clients and wants to write a new article that will automatically show up on all of their client sites.

So - if I were to build this so that all articles were shared, as I understand it this would not allow for unique content on any of the individual sites. So would it make sense to have their individual content defined by K2 items instead of regular items - this way allowing the automatically "pushed" content from the parent to go out as regular Joomla articles and their unique content as K2 items?

Would that work to my goal?

Also, would the header, logo, etc be able to be unique per site since they would likely be module positions?

Appreciate your input.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

1. A new client signs up. They want a site built for them with content provided by a "parent company". They would get a site built for them that contains a set group of content, so they don't have to come up with their own "articles" and chiropractic news, etc.
That's possible but super admin should create a parked domain in hosting panel and next create a site in MightySites with cloning a database from a sample client's site.
2. That same client needs to have a website that has THEIR location, THEIR Doctors list, THEIR logo, their template choice/colors.
Sorry, I don't understand. Client can login to his site and setup all settings in Joomla as usual.
3. The parent company has 200 such clients and wants to write a new article that will automatically show up on all of their client sites.
MightySites can allow 2 variants for for articles:
1. Each site has own independent articles.
2. All articles are same across all sites and any article-related change affects all sites.
So that's not possible in your environment.
So - if I were to build this so that all articles were shared, as I understand it this would not allow for unique content on any of the individual sites. So would it make sense to have their individual content defined by K2 items instead of regular items - this way allowing the automatically "pushed" content from the parent to go out as regular Joomla articles and their unique content as K2 items?
Yes, that's possible, Joomla categories and articles will be same, but K2 data will be own.

But note that without proper permissions client can eg. delete article and it will be deleted in all sites.
Would that work to my goal?
Note that you will have shared environment (files and certain content), so it is important to separate permissions and disallow user to change shared contents.
Also, would the header, logo, etc be able to be unique per site since they would likely be module positions?
Modules can be unique per site, so each site can have its own modules as usual.
Same for template style settings (usually logo and header are selected in template style settings)