pre-sale question: automatic immigration of existing PHPBB members usernames and passwords to existing Joomla site

Ultimate bridge for connecting Joomla! and phpBB 3.
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
lamerisj

pre-sale question: automatic immigration of existing PHPBB members usernames and passwords to existing Joomla site

Post by lamerisj »

Hello,
I already have a Joomla website for my club and a PHPBB bulletin board on the website working.
At this time club members are not registered users of this Joomla website, but most of them are registered users of the bulletin board in order to see attachments of most posts.
Since I am thinking to add content to the Joomla website behind a required registration for club members-only I am investigating the use of p8pBB Bridge as a bridge.
My question is now: Is it possible that the usernames and passwords of all registered bulletin board users will be migrated to the login module of Joomla without any action by the registered users of the bulletin board after the installment of p8pBB bridge?

And is it possible to make a selection of registered BB users (member-only) before migration??

Thanks in advance!

Jaap
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Re: pre-sale question: automatic immigration of existing PHPBB members usernames and passwords to existing Joomla site

Post by Admin »

It's possible to copy phpBB users into Joomla, but note that it's impossible to copy passwords because their hashes are different in Joomla and phpBB. But, the user will be logged in via Joomla because the bridge can validate phpBB password hash and next update Joomla hash.

A user can be copied into Joomla from phpBB if there is no Joomla user with same case-insentive username and email in Joomla.

Or you can not copy users into Joomla but just use the "silent transfer" option: once a user logs in Joomla and there is no such user in Joomla, the bridge tries to authorize this user in phpBB and next auto-create and auto-login such user in Joomla on success.
And is it possible to make a selection of registered BB users (member-only) before migration??
No. You can only copy all phpBB users.
lamerisj

Re: pre-sale question: automatic immigration of existing PHPBB members usernames and passwords to existing Joomla site

Post by lamerisj »

Thank you for your information. Is my understanding correct that PHPBB users always initially have to login in Joomla with their PHPBB forum username AND their PHPBB forum password, at least once?

Jaap
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

It's only required if you want to update the Joomla password hash and next to be able to log in the user in Joomla without phpBB and bridge.
jeffk
Name: jeffk

Post by jeffk »

Admin wrote: April 8th, 2021, 3:47 am A user can be copied into Joomla from phpBB if there is no Joomla user with same case-insentive username and email in Joomla.
What happens if the user already exists in Joomla ? Does it continue to copy users that don't exist ?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, this existing user is skipped, next users are processed.
jeffk
Name: jeffk

Post by jeffk »

Excellent, thanks for the prompt reply. 8-)