Can it function like "Working Copy"?

Multisites manager and data sharing solution for Joomla!
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
jkanto
Name: Jill

Can it function like "Working Copy"?

Post by jkanto »

Hi! I've bought a copy of mightysites and am still figuring it out. Can it also be used to create a copy of the existing website to make changes that need to get proofed by the client, then upon approval, can replace the main website? I think working copy pushes the changes by overwriting the live content...but if I can just duplicate the site, make the changes, get client approval and switch the htaccess or something to access the duplicated site....that would work. But I need to know how to go about it to keep things from getting messy...like a huge database/file storage, and endless copies of the site each time the client wants to update a page. Any advice?

Thanks!
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Re: Can it function like "Working Copy"?

Post by Admin »

Yes, you can create a virtual site like xxx.mainsite.com (this domain first should be created as parked domain in your hosting panel) or mainsite.com/xxx (no need to create domain).

There is an ability to clone database tables of current site for this new site.

Next you can make changes in this site and once ready - import its database tables into database of main site except #__mightysites table (it's fast in phpmyadmin).
jkanto

Post by jkanto »

BEAUTIFUL! THANK YOU!!! Any potential pitfalls? What if the changes include newly uploaded media? Would the path be the same so that the pictures or video work? What if new components or modules are added...would those files be okay?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

You need to use relative paths, in this case it will be fine.

Probably you don't understand: either parked domain xxx.site.com or symlink site.com/xxx means that this virtual site uses same files as main site. So you can add/edit/delete files in virtual site and main site will also get these changes.
jkanto

Post by jkanto »

Okay, so I would need to be mindful that replacing files on the copy site will affect the live site. Good to know. Thanks!!