Pre-Sales Questions

Ultimate bridge for connecting Joomla! and phpBB 3.
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
neko1985
Name: neko1985

Re: Pre-Sales Questions

Post by neko1985 »

looks like a great component.
I have a few questions
Currently I have a forum with 65 000 usera over 300 000 entries. I use the JFusion joomla1.5 phpbb3 everything works great. But the problem is visual integration. I use rockettheme for both to look same but problem is add stuff from joomla... JFusion frameless doesn't have redirect the old phpbb url and not yet a stable version for joomla1.7 ...

Will my pages that are indexed on Google. work with this seo of the p8pbb?
phpbb3 is in folder "forum"
http://www.xxxxx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16137

is posible to leave the original URL of phpbb3? I ask this because the need for making some extra modules. Let's say last topic modules for me to make it look like this (for joomla index page)

I've already made ​​a similar module for joomla1.5 but here I am not sure how to redirect url looks. All code components are crypted with IonCube? Can I do some custom modifications?
It would take a module with the statistics online. Private messages should be in the login module of Joomla percent say I'm not using CB etc..

Are you doing the test performance? I have 7000 visitors a day. important to me is the number of queries. I know that frameles load joomla and phpbb simultaneously, but only the first time after just goes to phpbb

thanks in advance
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

It is impossible to keep usual phpBB URLs, all of them will be redirected to new bridge's URLs with 301 status (so Google will know that the page address was changed).

The usual phpBB links in 3rd party phpBB MODs like Recent Topics are also auto-converted to new format.

The component is encrypted and you can't modify it - though you can change phpBB template as usual.
The bridge itself doesn't produce any additional queries (I believe JFusion does), additional queries are executed on profile update/login actions.

Frameless integration always loads both Joomla and phpBB, but Joomla queries can be minified by using standard Joomla caching.
jb123
Name: John Burlington

Post by jb123 »

I currently run a site using Joomla 1.5, CB 1.2, phpbb3.05 and jFusion. I want upgrade the site to the latest versions (and make a few other mods). Although jFusion works it has a few drawbacks and quirks that I'm not entirely happy with it. This bridge looks far better.

Before committing myself I have a few questions (or confirmations that I understand certain functions correctly):

1. Avatar, location etc that appear in viewforum are taken from the phpbb profile. The CB and phpbb profiles are synced, so changing avatar, for example, in a CB profile will change the person's avatar in the forum?

2. Clicking on a user's profile in the forum will cause the person's CB profile to be displayed

3. Link to send a phpbb pm appears in a persons CB. Is this also the case if the ability to send an email to a member is turned of in CB?

4. If a person registers in Joomla a similar member is created in phpbb3 automatically. Is this carried out on registration submit or only when that member tries to access the forum?

5. Joomla and phpbb can be in separate databases?

6. Apart from SEO mods, are there any other know mods to phpbb that interfere with the bridge operation?

7. I'm changing servers when I upgrade the site. I intend to let the present site run while developing the new site. For development I will be using a different domain but the original domain when the site goes live. Will this cause a problem with licensing?

8. Does the user's forum posts CB tab take into account the viewers forum permissions. For example if the person viewing the CB profile was a guest, would they be able to see posts that had been made in forums only registered members could view?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes, the link is always displayed.
4. Yes, on registration submit.
5. Yes.
6. Sorry, not sure, we didn't check all MODs and only SEO MOD was found to be incompatible.
7. You can ask Support Center for additional license for development domain.
8. No forum permissions are checked, but you can skip certain forums in the tab's settings and messages from these forums won't be displayed.
sarrene
Rookie
Rookie
Name: sarrene
Browser: Firefox

Post by sarrene »

jb123 wrote: 6. Apart from SEO mods, are there any other know mods to phpbb that interfere with the bridge operation?
In addition to the phpbb3 SEO mod, The only mods that I could find that did not work was the php portals. Our forum is heavily modified, with both mods from phpbb3 community and my own. So far, I have not had any problem with any other than when I tried to test out the different portal mods.

The biggest thing I can say is make sure you have your blank png in the right place for your colour selector for the post form in both your native php directory and in your /images directory. That one buggered me up a few times when I forgot about that.

You can see our forum here: http://darkrelic.com/forum

I hope that helps out some.

Peace,
Sarrene'
Peace is not what you seek in the world, but what you find within yourself.

http://darkrelic.com
Joomla 3.3 + phpbb3 + p8pbb Bridge: Since 1.0.1 + MightySites:Since 1.0.0
jb123

Post by jb123 »

Admin wrote:1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes, the link is always displayed.
4. Yes, on registration submit.
5. Yes.
6. Sorry, not sure, we didn't check all MODs and only SEO MOD was found to be incompatible.
7. You can ask Support Center for additional license for development domain.
8. No forum permissions are checked, but you can skip certain forums in the tab's settings and messages from these forums won't be displayed.
Thanks for taking the time to reply so promptly

Sorry one more question:

On my present set-up using jFusion, the only place you can see when a person last visited the site is in the CB profile. If someone logs in on the phpbb side and doesn't visit the Joomla side then the 'last visit' info isn't updated. I have some very active forum members that appear from their profile not to have visited the site for months but are on the forum everyday. Would the same situation occur with the bridge?
jb123

Post by jb123 »

sarrene wrote:
jb123 wrote: 6. Apart from SEO mods, are there any other know mods to phpbb that interfere with the bridge operation?
In addition to the phpbb3 SEO mod, The only mods that I could find that did not work was the php portals. Our forum is heavily modified, with both mods from phpbb3 community and my own. So far, I have not had any problem with any other than when I tried to test out the different portal mods.

The biggest thing I can say is make sure you have your blank png in the right place for your colour selector for the post form in both your native php directory and in your /images directory. That one buggered me up a few times when I forgot about that.

You can see our forum here: http://darkrelic.com/forum

I hope that helps out some.

Peace,
Sarrene'
Thanks for the info sarrene

I too have a highly modded forum, but hopefully as most of the mods are not related to log-in, sessions etc there won't be anything that conflicts.
sarrene
Rookie
Rookie
Name: sarrene
Browser: Firefox

Post by sarrene »

jb123 wrote:
Admin wrote:
Sorry one more question:

On my present set-up using jFusion, the only place you can see when a person last visited the site is in the CB profile. If someone logs in on the phpbb side and doesn't visit the Joomla side then the 'last visit' info isn't updated. I have some very active forum members that appear from their profile not to have visited the site for months but are on the forum everyday. Would the same situation occur with the bridge?
For joomla -> phpbb3: Though I really do not like jfusion, mostly because of the messy scripts and over abundant overhead, I have to say that this is not a jfusion issue. This is actually an issue with how phpbb3 works. There is no way I know of to really get around this unless you want to hack the phpbb3 core a bit more. And then it can start to get messy.. especially when you have updates.

Now, Admin may be able to figure out a way to get around that. From what I understand, this is how phpbb3 handles the session handlers. since phpbb3 has it is own session table, it would take a lot of work to get that to register joomla activity as well. We did try this, from using session callbacks to echos to try to trick the phpbb3 handler, but alas this only caused more issues.

What I did was customize the forum itself to show who was on the forum.. and then add the whos online modules on the bottom of the page.

Nice thing is however, is that with either Community Builder or JomSocial, the profiles will also show when they are online.

In some ways this can be a bonus. It does let you know who goes to the site itself, and who actually goes to the forum. For me, tracking my developers is a good thing, and it allows me to see who is reading updates and such, and who is not. It also allows me to see what percentage of the guests go to the forum. I know that might sound weird. But at times, knowing what parts of the site that are more popular can be a good thing.

Now.. for phpbb3-> joomla: :) This does work! If a user visits the forum, you can see in their profile when they were last on. So if your users have your forum bookmarked and they go directly there, you will see when they last logged in. This is a great bonus for p8pbb3 Bridge I think. Since it does not discount forum activity as joomla activity.

I hope that helped you out some, even though it might seem a bit confusing.

Peace,
Sarrene'
Peace is not what you seek in the world, but what you find within yourself.

http://darkrelic.com
Joomla 3.3 + phpbb3 + p8pbb Bridge: Since 1.0.1 + MightySites:Since 1.0.0
jb123

Post by jb123 »

Thanks Sarrene for your in-depth answer.

It was phpbb3 -> joomla that was my main concern and it seems there isn't an issue
dan778
Name: Dan

Post by dan778 »

feat. Presales: bridge

I need mainly visual integration auf phpbb3. It seems not possible to update this from 3.0.4 to 3.0.9 and has some SEO installed, that I maybe cannot deinstall properly.

My questions:
- Would the full version run with 3.0.4? (you say 3.0.7 - I know, but maybe its enough to change a few files instead of updating)
- Would frameless visual integration work?
- why is the full version cheaper then the light?

My provider would change my account so that I can use ioncube. But which loader package do I need for MAMP?

Dan