Pre-sales question: Moving from jFusion to p8pbb - step by step

Ultimate bridge for connecting Joomla! and phpBB 3.
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
Oby
Name: Stian Øby Johansen
Browser: Firefox

Pre-sales question: Moving from jFusion to p8pbb - step by step

Post by Oby »

The jFusion project is more or less dead in the water, see https://github.com/jfusion/org.jfusion. ... /issues/18

I, and many others, are therefore considering a move to p8pBB. I understand from replies to other threads in this support forum that this is relatively trivial. However, I would love to see a step-by-step tutorial describing the correct order things should be done, and pointing out any risks or common issues.

I know this is much to ask, but since it is possible that you will likely get many new customers coming from jFusion I think it is worth it to create a brief tutorial.

Thanks in advance :)
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Re: Pre-sales question: Moving from jFusion to p8pbb - step by step

Post by Admin »

We provide free installation and offer support for all customers in our support desk.
Oby

Post by Oby »

Sounds good, although I would have loved to have a rough outline before me up front.

Another, different question: On out side we presently have a login box that, when logged in, shows the following information:
- Profile picture
- Number of PMs and new PMs.
- Link to "show new forum posts" (i.e. http://halonorge.no/site/community/sear ... d=newposts)
- Logout button

Here is a picture of it in action: http://imgur.com/a/X87IF

How does the p8pbb login module compare?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Currently we don't have such module, but can create it.
Oby

Post by Oby »

Sounds great. Would that be for an extra fee, or would it be something that you could develop as a complimentary module for the benefit of all p8pbb users?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We will develop it for free and include in new version for all users. Please just create a ticket in our support center, it will help to keep an eye on this feature.
Oby

Post by Oby »

Fantastic :) Ticket created!
Oby

Post by Oby »

I have now (mostly) successfully moved from Joomla3.7/jFusion2/phpBB3.0.x to Joomla3.7/p8pbb/phpBB3.2. The move itself did not give raise to any particular issues, although I have a couple of problems related to wrapped mode (which I have raised in support tickets).

Here are the steps I took for a successful move:
1) Disable all jFusion MODS for phpbb, using the jFusion configuration panel for the pbpBB plugin (redirect MOD, dual login MOD, frontend moderator panel MOD)
2) Disable the jFusion plugin itself (master button on the main page of the jFusion component)
3) Re-enable the Joomla user and login plugins
4) Uninstall the jFusion package using the Joomla extension manager.
5) Log in + check that Joomla and phpBB function fine separately.
6) Moved Joomla to root folder (This may not apply to others. But I previously had both phpBB and Joomla in subfolders).
7) Upgrade phpBB to latest version (optional, but since I was stuck all the way back on 3.0.x I decided to do some major house cleaning and move to 3.2)
8 ) Install the p8pBB package in Joomla and configure according to instructions in the PDF provided (must be read very closely).
9) Install the jprosilver (wrapped) template for phpBB. Set it as the (only) default.
10) Test dual login etc works when phpBB and Joomla are "standalone" integrated (i.e. not wrapped).
11) Set p8pbb integration to "wrapped", and add the p8pbb menu item pointing to the forum.
12) Fix whatever CSS bugs remain, install extensions, enjoy your fresh install, etc ;)