Integrating existing phpbb users with existing Joomla users

Ultimate bridge for connecting Joomla! and phpBB 3.
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
MrAnonymous
Rookie
Rookie
Name: Neel

Integrating existing phpbb users with existing Joomla users

Post by MrAnonymous »

Hi,

I am very close to purchasing this extension. Probably in the coming weeks once I complete all the other development process for my Joomla site in localhost. I do have a question on integrating an existing phpbb user with an already existing user in Joomla.

Let me explain: Before I install phpbb and integrate it with my Joomla installation, I would have already created 2 admin accounts (lets say with username admin1 and admin2). Using these accounts, I will be setting up Joomla, create Joomla Articles etc.. meaning these users will already have Joomla accounts with articles and profile info. After the Joomla is set-up, I will be installing the phpbb to integrate with it. Mine is not a brand new site since I already have an existing phpbb form. So after the phpbb is installed with Joomla, I will then be importing the phpbb tables from my already existing phpbb site. This existing site already has admin1 and admin2 user accounts with posts made and other phpbb statistics. My question is, what will happen when I integrate phpbb with Joomla using this bridge and the username already exists in Joomla and phpbb separately before?

I had asked similar question before and I understand that if a username already exists in Joomla, this bridge will not copy that user from phpbb. But if that happens, the integration will not work for me since admin1 and admin2 have Joomla articles, etc.. created but their existing phpbb posts and profile will not be integrated with Joomla account. How do I make sure that when I install and import existing phpbb db tables, the existing usernames in phpbb syncs with the already existing usernames in Joomla?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Re: Integrating existing phpbb users with existing Joomla us

Post by Admin »

Synchronization is based on case-insensitive username: once Joomla user 'Admin' logins - phpBB user 'admin' is also logged and vice-versa, same for logout, profile updates etc.

So you current Joomla user 'admin1' will match existing phpBB user 'admin1'
MrAnonymous
Rookie
Rookie
Name: Neel

Post by MrAnonymous »

Thanks for that admin. Thats really good to hear. Alright, what happens in the case where the admin1 account in current Joomla installation has a different password to the admin1 of existing phpbb account which is going to be imported? In that case, as per the username synchronization, it may be fine since its the same username on phpbb as well but what will happen if the passwords were different for each account since each of those were created separately before the bridge was implemented?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

If you copy users from Joomla to phpBB and case-insensitive username or email of Joomla user is already presented in phpBB - this user is not copied.

If user Admin1 logs in Joomla and his Joomla password is same but phpBB has another password - phpBB password is updated and user is also logged in phpBB.