Presale Questions on SEO, SEF and Search

Multisites manager and data sharing solution for Joomla!
Forum rules
This forum is not for any support questions/issues/features. Please use Support Center for such requests.
ozneilau
Name: Neil Robertson
Browser: FireFox

Presale Questions on SEO, SEF and Search

Post by ozneilau »

Hi,

I am aiming to amalgamate several existing websites for an author client into one Joomla 3 website to minimise maintenance and administration. There are existing websites for some of the books he has written and I want to create a new website about the author so the structure will be something like this:

authorwebsite.com
book1.com
book2.com
book3.com

Potentially, some of the articles might be shared across multiple websites such as a contact page, new book announcement etc.

1. SEO Duplicate Content Question

Does MightySites prevent duplicate content penalties where the same article might be found by Google under all the different domain names?

For example, if I have an article specifically about book1 at book1.com/book1, I don't want it to be indexed by Google under book2.com/book1 or is that asking too much?!

2. SEF Question

Assuming Joomla core SEF is enabled on the existing book websites and I have:

book1.com/about
book2.com/about

Will these urls conflict when I amalgamate the websites? Will these have to be renamed to something like this:

book1.com/about-book1
book2.com/about-book2

3. Search Question

If I add a RokAjaxSearch or other search module to the book1.com website, can I limit search results to book1.com only and avoid results for book2 and book3 showing up which are likely irrelevant and confusing.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but I did have a good look through the existing pre-sales questions and couldn't find the answers.

Thanks,

Neil
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Re: Presale Questions on SEO, SEF and Search

Post by Admin »

Sorry for delay!
I am aiming to amalgamate several existing websites for an author client into one Joomla 3 website to minimise maintenance and administration. There are existing websites for some of the books he has written and I want to create a new website about the author so the structure will be something like this:

authorwebsite.com
book1.com
book2.com
book3.com

Potentially, some of the articles might be shared across multiple websites such as a contact page, new book announcement etc.
It's not possible to share "some" articles, each site either has independent articles or load articles from other site and hence have same articles.

1. SEO Duplicate Content Question

Does MightySites prevent duplicate content penalties where the same article might be found by Google under all the different domain names?

For example, if I have an article specifically about book1 at book1.com/book1, I don't want it to be indexed by Google under book2.com/book1 or is that asking too much?!
Both sites can have same articles but it's completely up to you how to display them. I.e. sites can have different menu items, so actually each site will display only specific articles while all articles are same.
2. SEF Question

Assuming Joomla core SEF is enabled on the existing book websites and I have:

book1.com/about
book2.com/about

Will these urls conflict when I amalgamate the websites? Will these have to be renamed to something like this:

book1.com/about-book1
book2.com/about-book2
/about URLs will display same content if both sites use same menu items and articles, but can display different articles if each site has own independent menu items.
3. Search Question

If I add a RokAjaxSearch or other search module to the book1.com website, can I limit search results to book1.com only and avoid results for book2 and book3 showing up which are likely irrelevant and confusing.
If both sites has same articles - I guess it will be better to organize them in site-specific categories and next try to limit search by category via module settings (sure if it's possible for RokAjaxSearch - but I doubt and custom Joomla search plugin can be required).
ozneilau
Name: Neil Robertson
Browser: FireFox

Post by ozneilau »

Thanks for getting back to me!
Admin wrote:I guess it will be better to organize them in site-specific categories and next try to limit search by category via module settings (sure if it's possible for RokAjaxSearch - but I doubt and custom Joomla search plugin can be required).
It looks like the US$11.95 "Search Content Advanced" plug-in can limit search results to specific categories: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... arch/19759
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Name: Administrator
Browser: Chrome

Post by Admin »

Yes, it really looks like good solution instead of native Joomla content search plugin.